12 different sites in The Czech Republic have been given UNESCO World Heritage status. These sites include places like castles, gardens, churches, villages, town centres and the whole of Prague.
Although this place is just a tiny village full of white walls and attractive looking red roofs, it is rich in its historical heritage as the style it is built in is known as South Bohemian Folk Baroque and it is well taken care of. The building also withstood the plague epidemic in the 16th century that left only two survivors and the communist regime in the 20th century that resulted in many people deserting their farms which caused the village to be abandoned. Restoration began in 1990 and induction into the UNESCO list began in 1998.
- Kutna Hora
During the 13th to the 16th centuries, this place was flourishing due to it being the centre of silver mining. When the town was at its peak, the style of the buildings were Gothic. The Cathedral of St. Barbora which has an amazing mix of Gothic and Renaissance styles of architecture as a reflection of its construction period and the whole of Sedlec Ossuary which is decorated with human bones from a nearby cemetery are must see buildings.
This place has the best of both worlds which are history and wine. It is the predecessor to one of the most beautiful castles in Czech Republic which is the current castle at Lednice. This castle is also the main home of the Liechtenstein family in 1249. It was kept until the events of World War 2 occurred which resulted in the process development of the entire area into an architecture and landscaping wonderland. Being forced out to Vaduz in 1939, the current owner is now the Czech state. This place is great for exploration and Moravian wine from Valtice can be bought.
These two places in Tiebic which are Basilica of St. Procopious constructed in 1240-1280 which conforms to Romaneque and Gothic styles the Jewish Quarter which is one of the most well-kept Jewish ghettos in Europe are a proof of cultural and religious diversity.
- Villa Tugendhat
This place is constructed using modern European style architectural designs in the year 1928-1930. It was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and commissioned by the Tugendhat family, a rich Jewish family residing in Brno which is the second largest Czech Republic city. However, they were forced to leave their country for Switzerland in 1938 causing the villa to be taken over by the Nazis followed by the communists. The story of this place is well illustrated in the book named The Glass Room and visitors can also pay a visit to this place.
- Zelena Hora
Visitors to this place can go to the Pilgrimage Church of Saint John of Nepomuk built to honour one of the hometown saints. Saint John was killed by drowning in the Vitava River in 1393. His early education began in Zelena Hora. The church was built using Baroque styles with some Gothic touches in 1720 after the blessing process. It has an interesting shape which mixes circular elements with appearances of objects that are repeated in sets of five due to the five stars crowning him in the sky during his death’s night. The church and the buildings surrounding it have a star-like appearance when viewed from the top.
- Holy Trinity Column, Olomouc
Splendid monuments decorated with angels, saints and such are often erected by Europeans to honour God for ending plague epidemics. One good example is the Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc which is also an amazing world Baroque sculpture. The builders and designers which were all citizens of Olomouc constructed this place in 1714-1716.
- Cesky Krumlov
This place is a good example of Renaissance charm. This town is extremely famous among visitors due to its beautiful centre having a massive Renaissance castle and amazing theatres. Various festivals are available here throughout the entire year. Summertime offers one the opportunity to raft down the river into town. Tourist season crowds the place so it is better to visit this beautiful place during off-seasons, late evenings and early mornings.
This place was originally a place for bishops to stay. The Leichtenstein family was also involved in the development of this place. Its landscape is well-maintained and colourful Baroque garden and a vast English garden which people can enjoy walking through on nice days. Visitors can also enjoy the town square and the amazing pubs in its surroundings.
- Prague’s Historical Centre
This place is the most well-known in Czech Republic. The buildings in this area first appeared around 800 and continuous development was seen since then. The place flourished greatly in the 14th century under King Charles Ⅳ’s reign who gave the name Charles Bridge which is the only stone bridge and part of the Old Town.